Troubleshooting Your Counter
This file contains information which should help with some common problems that people have. For more information, please make sure you read all the online documentation including the Usage Page and the FAQ Page.
Error Images The new threaded counter server returns an error image when it encounters a problem. The error images were developed to allow users to better diagnose and fix their own problems. Please see below for the error image strings and what they mean.
- ERR1 -- Non-valid Error Code
- ERR2 -- Unknown counter
- This error image gets returned when you are asking for a counter that is unknown to the counter database. Maybe you did not create a counter with the form on the creation page or maybe you made a typo in your HTML code.
You need to make sure that the counter that you created matches exactly the one in your IMG SRC string.
- If you asked for a counter with spaces in it, the server will have translated them to _ (underscore) characters. This is true for other special characters as well.
- Upper and lowercase letters are treated as different characters, so make sure you note the case of every letter in your new counter name correctly.
- Please pay special attention to the response from the server when you created your counter. It should show the HTML code you can use to access your counter.
If you have used the Query Page and your counter name is correct then this may be a browser problem. We are seeing certain browsers such as the GNN one that is creating these errors while the HTML code is perfect and other browsers show the page fine. Please have a friend check your page with another browser. If it works for them then consider complaining to your browser software company.
If you are using the old HTML format with ? and & characters, you should switch to the newer / format. Please see the Usage Page for more information.
You may also want to check to make sure your arguments are being supplied correctly. See the ERR6 section below.
- ERR3 -- File Input/Output Error
- This error indicates that the web-server encountered some sort of local file system error.
- ERR4 -- Counter IPC Error
- This error means that there were problems communicating with the separate counter daemon. The counter server keeps track of counter values and user information. We will be restarting the counter server shortly. Please stand by.
- ERR5 -- Image IPC Error
- This error is like ERR4 but means that there were problems communicating with the separate image daemon. The image daemon builds the actual numerical images. This happens after the count has been updated so you can be assured that although users will not see your count, the server is recording their accesses. We will be restarting the counter server shortly. Please stand by.
- ERR6 -- HTML Usage Problem
- The error indicates that the server had problems processing the options that you sent to it. You should also make sure that each option is separated by a / forward-slash character. Some options are also accompanied by values -- these values are also separated with the / character. For instance, the -d option requires a number argument.
Make sure you go over the SRC string carefully!!
Please see the Option Usage section of the Usage Page for more information about the proper usage of options.
- Watch for missing or extra / characters.
- Remove any illegal spaces in the SRC string.
- Watch your " (double-quote) characters. The SRC string should have an opening " double quote after the SRC= with the closing quote coming at the end of your counter options and counter name.
- You should have a space after the closing quote if you are using ALIGN, BORDER, or any other IMG options.
- Make sure SRC is not spelled SCR by mistake.
If you think it is okay then maybe you are using an incorrect argument. Please see the Available Options section of the Usage Page for more information about available arguments.
- ERR7 -- Counter Name Already Exists
- This error is generated when you are trying to create a counter name that already exists. A message should have been returned instead of this image.
- ERR8 -- GIF file not accepted
- This error indicated some sort of incompatibility between your browser and our server.
- ERR9 -- Incorrect Password
- The error indicates that you supplied an incorrect password for your counter. A message should have been returned instead of this image.
- ERR10 -- Change Form Problem
- The error indicates that you did not correct submit a change form for your counter. A message should have been returned instead of this image.
- ERR11 -- Counter Account Locked
- The error indicates that the counter account in question cannot be changed. A message should have been returned instead of this image.
- ERR12 -- No Counter Name Supplied - Usage Error
- The error indicates that your IMG SRC line in your HTML file did not contain the name of your counter. You should remove any spaces in your SRC string and make sure that it has an opening and closing double-quote character. Also make sure that there is a space after the closing quote.
Please see the section on Usage Errors for more information.
- ERR13 -- Request is Blocked
- This indicates that the request you just made has been temporarily disabled so that the counter server can be repaired and/or updated. Please be patient and try your request again later.
- ERR14 -- Password Confirmation Error
- The error indicates that the password that you entered does not match the confirmation password field. You should re-enter the two fields and re-submit your request. A message should have been returned instead of this image.
- ERR15 -- No Password Supplied
- The error indicates that the password field was left blank in your request. You must enter a password and re-submit your request. A message should have been returned instead of this image.
- ERR16 -- Incorrect Form
- You seem to have used an incorrect form to submit your counter request. You may want to verify that you are using a form at www.digits.com and reload the form page to get the latest version. You may also want to try clearing your browser cache to make sure.
- ERR17 -- No Counter Name Specified
- You did not specify a counter name in the form where it was asked for or some other problem was encountered where a counter name was needed.
- ERR18 -- Internal Error
- This error image is returned when the server encountered an internal error.
- ERR20 -- General Error
- No additional information is available about this error.